Why Dental Implants Are the Best Replacement Option for Your Missing Teeth?
A dental implant is a prosthetic fixture that San Jose dentist Dr. Shimizu surgically embeds within the jaw bone to function as the root component of a prosthetic tooth. This mode of replacement for missing teeth has become quite popular, not only for Dr. Shimizu and other dentists, but an increasing number of patients also prefer dental implants over other tooth replacement options. Have you ever wondered why dental implants have gained so much popularity? Let’s have a look at why they are considered the #1 tooth replacement option among dentists and patients alike.
Benefits of Dental Implants Over Other Tooth Replacement Options!
- High Success Rate – 98% success rate of dental implant therapy has been reported in scientific literature.
- Durability – dental implants are designed to last for a long time. With proper care and adherence to Dr. Shimizu’s instructions regarding their care, you can expect your dental implants to last for a lifetime.
- Convenience – similar to your natural teeth, dental implants are firmly anchored within the jawbone. Therefore, with dental implants, you can enjoy any type of food without worrying about dislodging your dentures.
- Aesthetics – with the help of dental implants, you can regain your beautiful smile! Porcelain crowns and bridges that closely match the color of your natural teeth can be placed over the dental implants that considerably increase your facial aesthetics and smile.
- Improved Speech – speaking clearly can become quite difficult if you wear dentures, since you have to continuously use your tongue to keep them from slipping. On the other hand, dental implants are fixed within the jawbone allowing you to speak in the same way as you would with your natural teeth.
- Minimal Bone Loss – wearing dentures can lead to a significant reduction in the quality and quantity of the jawbone due to a constant pressure exerted on the oral soft and hard tissues by the dentures. This is not the case with dental implants as they tend to promote bone formation in their surrounding regions.
How Are Dental Implants Placed?
The placement of dental implants requires expertise, extensive planning, and attention to detail. Therefore it is usually carried out in multiple steps, however, contemporary dental implants are now also being placed in a single day. Here are the steps that Dr. Shimizu will follow in the dental implant process.
- The Planning Phase – before starting the procedure, Dr. Shimizu will perform a detailed examination of your teeth and will have a look at your medical and dental records to make sure that you are a good candidate for getting an implant.
- Administration of Local Anesthesia – since the placement of dental implants is a surgical procedure, a local anesthesia is administered to make the process pain free. If you’re anxious or afraid, conscious sedation dentistry may be used to help you relax.
- Placing the Implant – after preparing the location, a titanium dental implant is installed into place and a healing cap is placed over the implant for a few weeks until healing has occurred.
- Placing a Prosthesis over the Implant – once healing has taken place, the healing cap is removed and a crown or denture is placed over the implant, which completes the process.
Watch the Video
Visit our YouTube channel to learn more about dental implants: https://www.youtube.com/c/Berryessadental
If you have missing teeth, San Jose dental implant specialist Dr. Grant F Shimizu can help. Please contact our office at 408.923.5511 or email us at Info@BerryessaDental.com. We look forward to helping you smile and chew again with dental implants.