What is a root canal?In the root canal, it follows a treatment sequence where the infected pulp of the tooth is either removed or treated to avoid infections and also to protect the unaffected or contaminated tooth from microbial invasions in the future. In other words, root canal treatment deals with the treatment of the nerve or nerves of the tooth or teeth. Endodontics is a field of specialty in dental science which deals with root canal treatment and also deals with the treatment of the tooth pulp and tissues which are within the tooth. To understand the root canal process in a more clear and better way, let’s understand the tooth structure present in our teeth.
- Tooth enamel with a high amount of calcium.
- A yellow and soft structure named denim consists of tubules that are capable of the transmission of the sensation to the inner part of the tooth.
- Pulp is made up of nerves and blood vessels.
Conditions, Signs, and Indications where you require a root canal
- Extensively damaged tooth due to caries
- Bad or Stingy (Foul) Smell Breath
- Tooth Sensitivity (Hot and Cold)
- Swelling in the jaw
- Cracked or chipped tooth
Tools used for and during Root Canal Treatment or Therapy
- Endodontic Burs
- Root canal explorer
- Barbed Broach
- Files and Reamer
- Gates-Glidden Rills
- Peso Reamer
- Ultrasonic Instruments
Things to do before going for a root canal treatment
- Fix or take an appointment with the dentist.
- Take consultation sessions with the dentists so that you can have everything clear about the subject.
- Appear for an x-ray examination so that it can be ensured that you do not possess any problem in your dental areas and also you are fit for dental treatment.
- Then, let the dentist diagnose your condition so that they can easily determine the treatment you need and also proceed with the root canal treatment.
Process of Root Canal Treatment
Step 1- Anesthetic
- First, the dentist will apply a small amount of numb medication on the gum near the affected tooth.
- Once the local anesthetic is injected it takes a few minutes for the medicine to work and the area gets numb.
- During this procedure, you will be awake, and with the help of a local anesthetic, you will not feel the pain much.
Step 2- Removal of Pulp
- When the tooth is in a numb state, a general dentist will form or make a small opening at the top of the tooth.
- After making a small opening at the top of the tooth, the infected or damaged pulp will be visible and exposed.
- Once the damaged or infected pulp is visible and exposed, the dentists will perform the process of the removal of the pulp with the help of a set of special tools called files.
- Files are highly useful and helpful in cleaning the canals (pathways) of your tooth or teeth.
Step 3- Antibiotics
- After the removal of the pulp, the dentist will coat the affected area with a topical antibiotic.
- The topical antibiotic is coated to make sure that the infection has gone away completely and also to prevent the re-infection of that area.
- After the completion of the cleaning and disinfection process of the canals is completed, the tooth will be filled and sealed by the dentist with a sealer paste along with a rubber-like material called gutta-percha.
- After the completion of this stage, dentists may prescribe oral antibiotics. (If needed)
Step-4 Temporary Filling
- The process will be finally ended by the dentist by the insertion of soft and temporary material at the top of the mouth at the small opening of the tooth.
- The sealant used here will be highly helpful in the prevention of the damage caused by the saliva to the root canals.
Precautions to be taken after the root canal procedure
- Take only antibiotics and painkillers prescribed by the dentists to avoid any further infection or problems.
- Contact your dentist as early as possible if you are suffering pain for a long time or if you are facing any unbearable pain.
- Follow proper oral hygiene daily without any fail.
- Do not apply pressure to the area where the treatment took place.
Benefits of Root Canal Treatment
- Prevention of the Spread of Infection- Root Canal Treatment helps in the prevention of the spread of infection from one tooth to the other.
- Appealing Result- The root canal treatment gives you an appealing virtual result as tooth pulp, and nerves get treated with the help of a crown or a dental fitting.
- Saviour of the teeth- Root Canal Treatment helps to save our teeth as it prevents the spread of the infection among the other teeth and leaves no room for the bacteria to grow and spread.
- Prevention of the Degeneration of the Jawbone- Root Canal Treatment is highly helpful in the preservation of the teeth.
Alternatives to Root Canal Treatment or Therapy
- Extraction- This is one of the most popular alternatives used by people. In this technique, the infected tooth is replaced with either a bridge, implant or partial denture.
- Ozone Gas- This can also be used as one of the temporary alternatives to root canal therapy or treatment. In this technique, ozone gas is used to irrigate the cavity.
- Direct pulp capping- It is a procedure that is used to treat severely decayed teeth. Materials like calcium hydroxide or MTA are placed directly over the exposed pulp. This material creates a mineral barrier that can both help and protect the exposed pulp and promote tissue repair. After the pulp capping material is applied, the tooth is then filled.
Root Canal Therapy In San JoseBefore discussing root canal treatment in San Jose or talking about root canal dentists in San Jose, let us understand the location of the place in brief. San Jose is a large city in the United States of America (U.S.A.) which is located in the state of California. Taking root canal treatment in San Jose is always preferred by U.S. citizens because the city is near to many U.S. citizens, which are proven quite beneficial for the people over there as people often come there for travel. The treatment in San Jose may take 1-2 weeks after the appointment and consultation with the dentist. San Jose is also the best option in the U.S. for root canal treatment is also because of its less cost of root canal treatment of therapy as compared to other places or other states in the U.S.A. The cost of the root canal in San Jose is $250. However, if you want a root canal treatment with the requirement of a crown, it costs around $700, which is quite affordable and reasonable as compared to other places in the world. Apart from this, they also use equipment of high quality and provide the best class root canal treatment and dental services. To book an appointment or a consultation session in San Jose for root canal treatment or therapy, book it online or call on the toll-free number (408) 923-5511
ConclusionBefore moving from the treatment of the root canal, we must verify the dental homes and endodontic dentists so that we do not receive fraudulent or low-quality of treatment because it is a matter which is related to our teeth, and once something starts bothering our tooth, we will not be able to rest peacefully both physically and mentally. We can do the verification process for both dental homes and endodontic dentists by searching on Google or other browsers, checking their reviews and ratings, and if possible, also visit that place (dental clinic) or person (dentist) personally to check on them. Also, ask people around you and also the customers who took treatment from them and people who took their services. Hope we helped you in giving you brief information about root canal treatment!